Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pretty Neat

I am getting to meet some really amazing people through all of this. We had our LOVE lunch Monday and just with the few parents and grandparents that are there, we are going to be raising the funds to build an entire NB center! Yes there will corporate sponsors and grants and government money, but it takes ordinary people like us to do the leg work and these people I've met are far beyond ordinary.

I thought I knew a lot about Lukas diagnosis and the treatments and drugs he's on, but these parents know far more that just that stuff. They know about new protocols coming out, new drugs that are being tested, what docs at different hospitals know what better and who to call to get second opinions. They know so much and it's parents like that that are changing things for our kids. Asking questions, doing their own research and pushing for alternatives to what is available to us now.

I'm amazed and lucky to know such great people.

There is one mom that I met and I really admire her. She is a single mom with 2 kids. Her youngest is battling NB right now. The mom doesn't really have any family here, they are all out of state, so she's going through all of this on her own. I can't imagine that. But she has a smile on her face and she's so positive and just the love I see in her face is something extraordinary. I can't wait to get to know her more. Like I said, I just really admire her for her strength and endurance through this.


Kurt took this right after Lukas first surgery... He has changed so much.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Thats great!! You are just as good of a mother and a person as any of those women. You are doing great, better than i think i would be doing. I love you and admire You!!!